I am going to go ahead and apologize ahead of time, I am distracted! It is Charleston Walk to End Alzheimer's week! I love this week, even though it is bananas! Seeing everyone on bank day, obsessively refreshing our Walk registration page, last minute media interviews, move-in day on Friday, the anticipation (and anxiety) on Friday night, and then suddenly it is Saturday morning and people are pouring through the gates of the ballpark. I am soo excited!! (Think Jessie Spano excited!) W is threatening to take my phone away, I can't stop checking our Walk registration page!
To use a sports metaphor, we are leaving it all on the field, let no stone be unturned, no single person not know about Walk to End Alzheimer's!
Our goal is to raise $140,000- and we need your help to get there - so join our forces and help us leave no stone unturned!
We are at war against Alzheimer's, and Walk to End Alzheimer's is our Sherman tank. Together we are a FORCE against Alzheimer's & dementia.
Can't wait to see you on Saturday morning!! EEEK!! REGISTER HERE!
- BANK DAY = Registration E-Z Pass! Calling all Charleston Walk to End Alzheimer's Team Captains, come to bank day to pick up your Registration E-Z pass! Bank Day is Wednesday in our office in Charleston (1601 2nd Avenue, Charleston, WV 25387), from 11 am - 6 pm. Pick up your t-shirts for your team and your event-day registration wristbands so you AND your team can bypass the registration table on Walk day! Don't wait in line, come to BANK DAY!
- Living with Alzheimer's Tent - This year we are hosting a special place for individuals attending the Walk who have Alzheimer's disease or dementia. It is a place to meet others who are facing Alzheimer's or dementia, and a place to escape the crowd without missing any of the action. For more information call 800.272.3900.
- Walk to End Alzheimer's pictures - stay tuned to our Facebook page for Walk to End Alzheimer's photos!
- Living with Alzheimer's Education Series - Starting Monday, November 4 we will host a 3-part education series for individuals with early-stage Alzheimer's and their caregivers. For more information call, 800.272.3900 or email email@example.com.
- We are making final plans for Caregiver University 2014! We are finalizing our topics as well, and if there is a topic that you would like to see in our Caregiver University 2.0 series, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. (We are also experimenting with themes, and our imagination has gone wild!)
- Monday, October 28 - Our offices will be closed, and our staff will be in their pajamas all day (or at least I will be)! Saturday marks our final Walk and we need to take a breather and refill our inner cup! Our 24/7 Helpline (800.272.3900) will be available. (We are living our mantra of taking care of yourself message!)
I guess it is time to finally accept the fact it is fall. The cold weather on Saturday and beautiful crisp, but sunny Sunday put me in the mood for something hearty & warm. And easy! This weekend wore me out! I love making chili (or anything with beans) because it brings out W's best pull my finger jokes! (Why I love that guy, he keeps me laughing!)
Start by browning 1 lb. of lean ground beef in a large pot. After the meat has browned dump it onto a paper towel- lined plate to drain the excess fat.
In the same pot dump in an onion, diced - over medium heat. (Ok, so I cheated, too lazy to dice)
Let the onions sweat until they become translucent. Add in 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles - I like it hot!!
Followed by a can of regular diced tomatoes
Now for the beans!
This is going to sound weird...but add in 1 packet of taco seasoning and 1 packet if ranch